National node - Canada
Introducing ECOP Canada
ECOP Canada is the Canadian network for the ECOP Programme.
ECOP Canada aims to achieve intergenerational equity by strengthening the diverse voices of early career ocean professionals. Through our network of ocean partners and ECOPs, we aim to address the following needs outlined in Canada’s Blue Economy Strategy:
- Adapt to generational values, innovation, and interests.
- [Re]build early career professionals connections to the ocean.
- Develop and communicate clear career pathways.
- Support experiential learning opportunities.
- Support and create sector strategies to introduce ECOPs to career opportunities.
Who is an ECOP in Canada?
- An early career ocean professional (ECOP) is anyone who makes their living from a healthy ocean.
- An ECOP is a person that self-identifies as being early in their career (10 years or less of professional experience) within any occupation related to the ocean (not only employed/paid positions).
- ECOPs will be the ones to inherit the decisions made about the ocean today as well as leadership roles in the blue economy.
- We are at a pivotal time in which leadership, innovation, and emerging technologies could help us deal with and solve environmental challenges, while introducing new ocean sectors.
- Now is the time to take action by supporting the next generation of ocean leaders to meet the goals of the UN Ocean Decade and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
- Canada has the longest coastline in the world. ECOP Canada creates meaningful engagement and hope through community building from coast to coast to coast.
- By supporting our network, ECOPs in Canada will help achieve international leadership and a Blue Economy that is environmentally sustainable, socially equitable, and economically viable.
Join the ECOP Canada community on Slack
Are you an early career ocean professional in Canada? Fill out the form below and we’ll email you an invite to join our online community. Slack is the place where you can connect with fellow ECOPs and access meaningful opportunities like jobs, training, funding, events, collaborations, ocean leadership, and more!
ECOP Canada Coordination Unit
ECOP Canada welcomes you to join the network and share your country’s activities and opportunities related to the UN Decade.
For any questions or inquiries, please contact:
- Ashley Bowes
- Email: email@example.com
ECOP Canada Steering Committee
ECOP Canada Highlights
Take the survey
Share your story
By sharing your story of why you became an oceanpreneur/innovator, we hope to empower post-secondary students and early career professionals from all interdisciplinaries to explore a career path (or side hustle) that will create a positive change for the ocean and support their own livelihoods.
Ready to inspire others? Record a 1-2 minute video in English or French on Flipgrid here to tell us more about your story and advice to post-secondary students and early career professionals.
Announcing the launch of Ocean Week Canada and a summer Ocean Festival!
ECOP Canada is thrilled to be partnered with the Canadian Ocean Literacy Coalition and 13 other incredible partner organizations for the Ocean Week Canada and Ocean Festival. This national celebration will create a surge of awareness about the ocean and strengthen our appreciation of the waterways that connect us, inland to the sea. Visit: oceanweekcan.ca
Are you a post-secondary student or early career professional? Head to the Learning Hub for a sneak peek at the post-secondary and early career toolkit we are collaborating on with Ocean Networks Canada and the Canadian Ocean Literacy Coalition.